START.ac was founded by Rod Turner, a seasoned entrepreneur who played a key role in the formation of highly successful start-ups including software developers Symantec (brainchild of Norton Antivirus software) and the popular search engine AskJeeves. Over the last year or so Rod has called upon his extensive knowledge to develop a new crowdfunding platform aimed at helping start-up businesses and technological ventures. The platform offers an assortment of unique features which include;
- The Inside Track TM enables funders to engage with projects they support
- CrowdAudition TM encourages the START.ac TM community to get involved offering feedback on projects up for submission as well as their selection
- START.ac TM offers a mentoring programme for project owners offering guidance and support from seasoned entrepreneurs and market leaders
- CrowdAccelerator TM benefits funded projects with continued dedicated involvement from the mentors
- STARTBusinessRewards TM offers rewards to project supporters based on company milestones.
The VC model is outdated. Investments are highly concentrated in Silicon Valley and similar VC clubs at the expense of 90% of the start-up opportunity across the US and around the world. In addition, current crowdfunding platforms are too narrowly focused in scope and geography. START.ac will democratise the industry in a way that is not yet being addressed. - Rod Turner, Co-founder & CEO START.ac